Karzai Orders US Special Forces Out Of Afghan Province
Afghan president Hamid Karzai ordered US special forces out of a key Afghani province on Sunday, following charges the military units were behind incidents of misconduct.
The order was given after a meeting of the National Security Council was held to address allegations of murder and torture of Afghans in Wardak province by US special forces.
“A recent example in the province is an incident in which nine people were disappeared in an operation by this suspicious force and in a separate incident a student was taken away at night from his home, whose tortured body with throat cut was found two days later under a bridge,” the National Council said in a statement explaining their decision.
Special forces were ordered to immediately stop all operations and given two weeks to leave Wardak.
The province is seen as a gateway for the Taliban to target Afghanistan’s capital Kabul, reports the BBC.
The order follows last week’s ban on foreign air strikes on residential areas by Karzai. Ten civilians were killed in Kunar province after an air strike was called.
A statement released by US special forces said it took all allegations of misconduct seriously, but would not comment specifially on the latest developments “until we have had a chance to speak with senior government officials.”
“This is an important issue that we must discuss with our Afghan counterparts,” the statement said.