A gun-toting civilian saved lives by confronting a deranged man on a shooting spree at a Portland, Oregon shopping mall last week, confounding a progressive narrative calling for the banning of firearms.
Nick Meli, 22, was at the Clackamas Town Center last Wednesday with a friend and her baby when a masked man opened fire.
“I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, ‘are you serious?,’” Meli told local television news station KGW.
After securing his friend and her baby, Meli, a former security guard at the mall, drew his gun and went to confront the man.
When shooter Jacob Roberts stopped his assault to deal with a jammed gun, Meli came out and drew down on him. The two made eye contact.
Meli, who has a Concealed Carry permit for his weapon, did not fire on Roberts after seeing someone behind the target. If he missed hitting Roberts, he could have hit the civilian in the background. Meli stands by that decision.
“I’m not beating myself up cause I didn’t shoot him,” he explained. “I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself.”
Roberts turned the gun on himself after seeing Meli, the only shot fired after being confronted. While two people were killed in the rampage, it could have been more had Meli not been there with his own weapon.
The incident, although reported by local Oregon media, was not included in the narrative reported by national media outlets that covered the tragic incident.